The “Larchmont Manor Fire Company” was founded in 1889 by a small group of residents led by Charles Singer (later elected Chief) who saw a need for fire protection in the community. As this was prior to the incorporation of the Village of Larchmont much of the money used to purchase equipment was raised through donations and fundraising events. The original firehouse was built at the corner of Maple and Circle Avenues on land deeded from the Larchmont Manor Company.
As the community developed members saw a growing need for an organized firefighting force. In 1891 after the Village of Larchmont became incorporated the Board of Trustees adopted a resolution to incorporate the “Larchmont Fire Department” with Charles E. Little to be the Department Chief.
One of the more disastrous fires in the early years of Larchmont history occurred on November 2nd 1902. Most of the buildings on Larchmont Avenue from Boston Post Rd to Addison St fell victim to the massive blaze prompting a ban of wooden structures. As technology advanced so did Firefighting Equipment and Apparatus. Throughout the years members of the Larchmont Fire Department have committed countless hours to training and responding to emergencies to keep the Village of Larchmont safe. This includes providing mutual aid assistance to our neighbors both near and far. On September 11th, 2001 crews like many others from the state and country responded to assist in rescue and recovery efforts following the attacks on the World Trade Center. Larchmont provided crews and apparatus covering fire response in Bronx neighborhoods as well as crews assisting at Ground Zero.
The Larchmont Fire Department stands at the ready 24/7/365 prepared to answer any and all alarms with professionalism and excellence as we have since the late 1800’s. We thank our community for allowing us to serve the last 100+ years and we look forward to the next.